Monday, October 17, 2011

I Want Jon Stewart's Slacker Schedule

The Daily Show's Jon
Stewart has more days
off than an air conditioner
in Anchorage.
I'm a big fan of Jon Stewart, the host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show."  I'm not bothered by his left-leaning approach to news or humor.
What I am bothered by is his work schedule.
It seems he is doing his best these days to embody and confirm allegations by F0x and the GOP (which are one and the same) that anyone who doesn't wear a red pachyderm on his underwear is a lazy slacker.
To say that Jon Stewart takes a lot of days off is like saying that a contestant on "The Biggest Loser" occasionally eats food.
Stewart gets more days off every year than a California school teacher (with or without government shutdowns), and almost as many days off annually as George W. Bush did during his presidency.
The jury is still out on which guy takes more mid-day naps, as it's a carefully guarded statistic protected by the Secret Service.
For starters, Stewart's show only airs four days a week.  On the fifth day, he's a re-run.
To be honest, I'm a little bit jealous that I didn't think of this idea when I was a newspaper editor.  Had I been a little smarter, I would have made myself a re-run once a week.  The previous week's car crash or house fire would have gotten an "encore" in Monday's online front page.
But I can live with Stewart's four-day work week.  The day off gives me a chance to see what else passes for comedy on the inaptly named Comedy Central network.  So far, videos of skateboarders taking crotch shots on stairway banisters or grandma losing her underwear at her grandson's wedding reception qualify as high-brow humor on Tosh.0 and similar CC offerings.
Yes, you just can't beat cutting edge humor honed in the crucible of Dick Clark and Ed McMahon's "TV Bloopers and Practical Jokes" circa 1982.
However, it's not just Stewart's short work week that irks me.
It's the fact that he takes more vacations than a travel reporter for Conde Nast.
There are unemployed people who work more than Stewart and his crew.
I'm pretty sure the human resources office at the Daily Show studio plans his work schedule like this:  4th of July = week off.  Easter = week off.  Groundhog Day = week off.  Rosh Hashana = week off.  Arbor Day = week off.  If there is a traditional holiday, whether Jewish, Christian, or secular, Stewart doesn't take that day off.  He takes that entire week off.
Then at the end of the year, he's like a civil servant who's accrued too many unused sick days, taking the last two weeks off like he's going to lose them if he doesn't use them.
It would probably be easier to just figure out which days he DOES work, circle them in red on the calendar, and decorate the office accordingly.
"Jon's gonna be here today!  Hooray!"
Newsman Walter Cronkite has been dead for two years, and he STILL has a busier broadcast schedule than Stewart.
He should be embarrassed that Osama bin Laden showed up on TV more frequently while in hiding than the Daily Show host.
To his credit, when he does appear, Stewart is nothing short of brilliant.  Sometimes I wonder if he is the illegitimate result of Nobel Prize winner Henry Kissinger sleeping with Lucille Ball. 
When Stewart interviews authors, diplomats, or presidential candidates, he's adept and learned.  When facing off with vapid Hollywood stars hawking their latest movie, he's funny and quick, able to elevate the IQ points in a room with little more than a raised eyebrow.
Only in my wildest non-sexual fantasies could I ever get anywhere close to being as smart as he is.
I just wish he could figure out how a calendar operates.
Every time I turn on the TV and tune in to Comedy Central in anticipation of getting my nightly news fix, I'm never sure if it's going to be Stewart at his topically comedic best, or a rerun of dated zingers about that nutty President Clinton's latest sexcapade because Stewart was on another vacation for National Jelly Bean Day.
He could be the spokesperson for an old recording tape company, because with Stewart you never know "is it live, or is it Memorex?"
It's indicative of today's America, where some people have to work 50 hours a week at hard, physically demanding jobs just to make enough to scrape by while others get paid millions to sit behind a desk and crack jokes.  The higher you go up the socio-economic ladder, the less you work and the more you get paid for it.
But I guess it could be worse.
Stewart could be Bill Maher, the host of HBO's "Real Time," where Maher spends an hour on TV once a week for about 26 weeks a year doing basically the same thing that Stewart does.
Once again, it just makes me wish I was funnier or smarter.  Someday I'd like to be good enough that I only have to work one day a year and still be known and loved the world over.
Unfortunately, that job is filled until the next time the guy slides off Tim Allen's roof.
If that ever happens, one thing you can count on: Jon Stewart will be off that week.

14 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. It's a horrible feeling when I check my TiVo on Monday night, only to find The Daily Show is a rerun. When the happens, I know I won't get my fix for at least another week. I can't blame Jon Stewart. I would take that much vacation if it was offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the fucking flake is milking his status like nobody ever before.You aint that funny or important [and by the way ran out of anything original a couple of years ago].Put up or go home dushe[go home means to retire]!

      Delete
  2. I wish we could figure out when the fuck he's gonna do his show though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jon Stewart and I agree the guy hardly works and yes he gets paid big bucks!!! Still the only honest news on air right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not work if your vacations are longer than "work"

      Delete
  4. And here we are in the midst of another two week hiatus... Wtf?!?! Doesn't he understand this is where we get up to date on all the news happenings. And I'll be dammed if I'm gonna turn on any of those 'real' news programs. When he and Colbert are in the Turks and Caicos, all I have is sportscenter

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to kill the show. There is a certain amount of hypocrisy to saying "Our work is our wealth" when you only work like half the year. At the least, have someone like John Oliver or Aasif Mandvi anchor the show when Jon's out. It's like the worst stereotype of Gen X'ers, even those of us going grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to organize the boycott of the show. You cannot call it a job. People spend more time on the hobby. Really disappointing.

      Delete
  6. agreed, and i hope they're getting the message. i also agree with above idea about allowing guest hosts but that would risk that someone else might get attention and Stewart strikes me as a bit of control freak. remember, the The Daily show not Stewart show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay Leno, Dave Letterman and others do an hour 5 days a week and not nearly as many vacations. A lot of people are disappointed and I am one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the boycott, I'd rather not even get my hopes up to be entertained and then realize he's on 17th vacation of the year again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes sense (even if it's lazy) that a star would work the schedule to his advantage. However, I've always wondered if this hurts the writers and production staff. Do they get screwed when Stewart does shows only, say, 2 weeks out of a month? Even if they're salaried, do they earn a lot less because of all the built in vacation? I can imagine situations where this would benefit someone--if they were engaged in serious independent writing efforts, for instance--but it seems like it would hurt others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the network trying to save money? Are these shows more expensive to produce than other nightly shows?.... That's what I was thinking might be the culprit: comedy central budget.

    (also why Conan and Chelsea lately only do 4 shows/week as opposed to 5 that regular network late night shows do.)...?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. This has bothered me for years. Does anybody know the actual reason behind it? Did Jon just negotiate a ridiculous contract? Why? I've been looking for the answer to this question for years as well, and haven't found it. I'm also curious to know why more people don't talk about this. Why is this the first time I've googled it and found something relevant? It's all just so odd.

    ReplyDelete